7.17.2014

please notice

The cashier at Trader Joe's asked me how my day had been, and I gave a fairly enthusiastic good before I asked him about his own.  He said ten or twelve things had gone right and he wasn't sure which to attribute his feelings toward, but that he felt so happy he almost thought he ought to apologize to anyone who wasn't having a good day.
Isn't it remarkable how such "small" encounters can leave such big impressions.
I started to think about all the good parts of my day.
Tucker woke feeling much better, after having a pretty miserable stomach bug.

I had time to drink my coffee while it was still hot.
I had fresh peaches and honeyed almonds and plenty of yogurt to share with Tollie.

I had boys asking me to read books, and minutes to flip through a magazine.  The May issue, but still.

I had the chance to resurrect Celia's memory with an acquaintance I hadn't seen for years.

I had flowers from the yard on the kitchen counter and friendly texts from neighbors on my phone.

I had a former student reintroduce himself, and I know teachers aren't supposed to pick favorites, but he was definitely one of mine, so my heart just about burst seeing his smile and hearing about his studies.

I had help getting all the laundry washed and folded and put away.

I had the ingredients and the initiative to bake a miniature blueberry pie.

I know flavors of happiness taste different to everyone, but I appreciated the reminder from the guy bagging my groceries to be mindful of all the good things on my plate.
I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 
“If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is.” - Kurt Vonnegut

3 comments:

Judi Beight said...

Thank you for making me stop and think about what made my day HAPPY!

Kristy G said...

Thank you for this! It's still morning and I already get to be thankful for my lunch being packed, time to stop for an iced coffee, the sun shining...

:-)

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Thank you.